Brinkhill in Lincolnshire: St. Philip's Church of England
The Church of St. Philip's was rebuilt in 1848 of old greenstone
and brick replacing the original chalk and thatch. St. Philip's has a
stone cross on the exterior of the southern wall.
In 1821 labourer working in a field near the church found a stratum
of blue clay what he took to be a quantity of gold nuggets. On investigation
however, the 'nuggets' were found to be merely pyrites of barren marcasite
which because of their bright yellow colour earned the name 'Brinkhill
Gold.' (from a notice inside the Church).