South Ormsbywas known by the Celts whose track (Bluestone Heath Road) ran through here before climbing up on the ridge. Also the Romans were here; they built a road that ran straight through the valleys.
Roman coins have been found.Ormsby Hall built by John Paine in 1752 and stands in a wooded parkland complete with lake. The 15th century church is approached by a short climb up a path next to the old school house. The village has an inn - the Massingberd Arms and a motor repair garage. Sadly, the post office and the smithy are no more and the boot makers cottage and workshop are replaced by trees.